Sunday, August 28, 2011

Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest Marzen

Oktoberfest is just around the corner and Shantel and I are making plans to gather some old friends we haven't seen in years together for a trip down to Munich.  It's my only chance to go to Oktoberfest plus we haven't seen some these friends in more than 5 years.  It should be a good time.  It's fitting then that the last beer from Hacker-Pschorr that I'm going to review is their Oktoberfest Marzen, the original beer of Oktoberfest (Marzen has now beeen replaced mainly with Helles at the fest itself)

This beer pours a dark copper, almost a brown, with golden tints.  The generous head is a light beige that disappears quickly, but leaves light lacing on the sides of the glass. The aroma is malty and slightly sweet and the taste starts outs the same with a slight bite at the end.  The bite is more of the heavily roasted malts then the true bitterness of hops.  A very drinkable beer and probably one of my favorite from Hacker-Pschorr.

This is the last beer in the Hacker-Pschorr collection that I will be able to review.  I actually think I've covered them all at one point in th last 20 months with the only exception being their doppelbock.  I'll miss the next doppelbock season as we move back to the states but maybe I can find it there.

I'm going to change my beer review format a little bit.  Instead of single beers, I'm going to do a whole family of beers (or as much as I can find) from a brewery and then do one long post including pictures of the brewery if I can.  I've already got several worked up that are just waiting on actual brewery pictures so look out for them.

0 comments:

Post a Comment