Saturday, August 20, 2011

Athens Marathon

OK it's official I'm entered to compete in the Athens Classic Marathon.  The race follows the historical route from Marathonas to Athen's Panathinaiko Stadium, which hosted the first modern Olympics in 1896.  Shantel gave me the go ahead the other night but I held out to register until today, just in case she changed her mind. 

One of our former neighbors will be there and there is the possibility of another couple from our street going as well, so there will be people for Shantel and the boys to hang out with.

I'm excited for this, not only is it the 2,500 anniversary of the Battle of Marathon and the run that gave the race it's name but it's the last event and trip we will get to take in Europe as we prepare to move back to the States.  We'll get to some of the most ancient history of the world in the days prior to the race and then I get to go out and try to break my PR on the marathon.  My PRs only a 4:20 and I'd like to run a 3:30-3:45 so we'll see where I can get my fitness levels to in the next few months.

This will also be my last major event for awhile.  I will move into my off season after the race and stay there until after the turn of the new year.  I'm looking to do things a little different for 2012 so stay tuned to see what those are.  Until then it's more Long Slow Distance runs with some speed work thrown in as I get ready to break the 4 hour marathon barrier.

0 comments:

Post a Comment