Sunday, July 11, 2010

Monchshof Maingold Landbier

I picked up another variety rack of beer from a brewery, this time it was the Monchshof line from Kulmbacher brewery in Kulmbach, Germany.  Today's review beer is a Landbier.  Landbiers or "country beers" are not a distinct style of their own, rather they are just an easy drinking beer whose characteristics vary from brewery to brewery.  Read more about them here.

The Monchshof Landbier pours a light golden yellow.  I know the picture is a little blurry but check out the head that crests and rises above the glasse.  This is something that I've noticed with German beers but especially with this one, it amazes me that the head doesn't spill over the side, like you get with American mass produced beers.  The aroma is fairly malty and the main flavor is a smoky roasted malt flavor with just a hint bitterness, it doesn't finish as cleanly as I'd like but it's still good.  Not as good as the Veldensteiner Landbier that I had earlier but still pretty good. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment