Sunday, April 11, 2010

Paulaner Original Munchen Hell



This week's beer is the Paulaner Original Munchen Hell.  I'll be honest I've tried to stay away from the Paulaner beers since you can get them in the States.  But this beer and the Salvatore I had a couple of weeks ago make me want to change my mind.  They are just darn good.

A helles beer is a light colored lager that was introduced in the late 1800s to compete against the Czech Pilsners that were being introduced into Germany.  As you can see it's a golden color with a good head.  It goes down smooth without the bitterness that I've noticed that many of Pils have.  It does have a bit of malty flavor but it really isn't that noticeable.  Overall this beer really reminds of the popular light beers from the US, but that doesn't do the Paulaner Original Munchen Hell justice since it is not a light beer in the American sense.  The German's managed to make a smooth tasting light colored beer without watering it down or using ingredients other than water, barley, or hops.  This is a beer that I could drink all day and I'll definitely be looking for at the store.

0 comments:

Post a Comment