Sunday, January 24, 2010

German Beer of the Week

I think I'm going to do a post on whatever new German Beer I discover each week. This week it goes to the Hefe WeisseBier from the Weihenstephaner Brewery in Freising, not too far from Munchen (Munich). The Weihenstphaner Brewery claims to be the oldest brewery in the world and they, as well as most other German breweries, claim to brew their beer according to the Reinheitsgebot or Bavarian Beer Purity Laws of 1516. Basically it means that beer can only have three ingredients: water, barley, and hops for a bottom brewed beer or Lager. When it comes to a Weisse bier that is actually made from wheat it must be top fermented like an Ale. Compare that to a Bud Light which also uses rice, supposedly to create that "crisp" taste. While I like Bud Light I am really liking German beers.

Here is the Hefe Weissbier that I had. I need to work on my pouring. When a Weissbier is poured in a restuarant the head goes all the top of the glass without going over. I only got a little bit of head when I poured this one for some reason. Overall the beer was pretty good and I'll probably have it again after I get done sampling other beers.

Something else I've learned about German beers is that each type of beer gets only different glass. That's a post for another day as I gather more info about that. Besides this post is long enough and I've probably butchered my description of the Purity Laws anyway.

0 comments:

Post a Comment